Friday, August 23, 2013

Addicted to Sugar





                  I’ve never been one prone to addiction, or so I thought. I don’t smoke and never have. I don’t drink alcohol, though I did try it in college (there must be a story or two there). I don’t do drugs (need I mention college again?). Therefore, I must be a paragon of virtue and have people lined up to worship at my self-controlled feet. The truth, though, is quite different. Not only do I not have legions of disciples, I was addicted to sugar for most of my life.
                  Studies have shown that sugar is an addictive substance and anyone who’s tried to stop eating and drinking it can attest to that. Anything that’s difficult to stop is addictive. That may be too broad a statement, but I don’t think there’s a support group for carrot addiction. There’s also not a broccoli-anonymous out there for people who are in broccoli denial. So I stand by my statement.
                  Scientists have known since the 50s that sugar is not good for us, but scientists aren’t the ones making commercials for breakfast cereals and soft drinks. Did you know that Coke actually came out and said that Coke is part of a balanced diet? They said it has health benefits because it makes people drink liquids when they normally might not. Are you kidding? Since when is sugar water and caffeine part of a balanced diet or healthful?
                  To make matters worse, most products now have high fructose corn syrup in them instead of sugar. I’ve even seen commercials where they claim it’s the same as sugar and therefore healthy. To a diabetic, that’s like saying this brand of arsenic is better than another brand. Eat up!!

                  Once again, we can’t believe what businesses tell us because they don’t have our best interests at heart. High fructose corn syrup has been proven to be an appetite stimulant. That means that instead of just making us fat, it makes us want to eat even more, which makes us even fatter. It’s a win-win for businesses making money off our poor health. Food manufacturers get more people to eat their product, doctors get more patients, drug manufacturers get more pills sold, and we get fat. Maybe I should call it a win-win-win-lose situation.
                  So what do we do? Read labels and stop eating high fructose corn syrup and sugar. But because it’s addicting, it’s hard - very, very hard. I suggest you try it for two weeks. Most people get tired, cranky, and don’t feel well when they try, but it’s so worth it. Some people can get over it in as little as three days while others take a little longer. No matter who you are, though, you can do it. I may not be a paragon of virtue, but I still beat my addiction to sugar and I feel great.

                  If losing weight isn’t an issue for you, then think of it as "sticking it to the man." Food companies want your money and are willing to put things in their products that make you want more of them. They are controlling you against your will and you must fight back for freedom! Go get ‘em and show ‘em whose boss!

No comments:

Post a Comment