Friday, August 30, 2013

What Do You Want to be When You Grow Up?


           Remember when you were a kid and people were always asking you what you wanted to be when you grew up? Middle age is the time in our lives when nobody asks anymore because it’s no longer a mystery. Those older and wiser than yourself no longer care to ask. You are now the one asking children what they want to be. If you think about it, it sucks.

            I wanted to be a scientist when I was young, even though I had no idea what scientists actually did. I grew up in the age of chemistry sets where you could make stink bombs right in your own kitchen. Erector sets were things dreams were made of and were encouraged, by adults, to be played with. I even had Tinker Toys and Legos to build things never dreamed of by my parent’s generation.


            Later, I wanted to be a lawyer because lawyers made lots of money and that was what was important in life. Money could buy nice homes and fancy cars (even red ones). I didn’t know what lawyers did either, but I knew that Perry Mason was very boring to watch on TV. None of that mattered, though, as long as I got lots of money.

            So is middle age defined by what we no longer seek to be? I don’t think so. I changed careers when I was 31 and struggled with the same feelings I have now. I don’t want to be known as “teacher”, “airman”, “serial killer”, or “homeless bum.” I want to be known as an intelligent guy who likes to write and talk about life (and occasionally rambles). I’d also like to be known as “that rich guy”, but let’s take it one step at a time.

            My point is, as children, we had dreams that changed with the seasons. As adults, we can either keep dreaming or give up to the pressures of life. If you have a job you love, great! If you’re living your dreams, super! If you’re not, be brave and keep dreaming. Middle age means we’re only halfway done and there’s still a lot of time left in our aging bones. We might as well enjoy the second half because no one else is going to do it for us.


            How many times have you said to yourself, “If I only knew then what I know now”? Guess what? You do know what you know now, so what are you going to do about it? I know now that TV is a major waste of my time, so I’d rather spend time outside with my family (unless it’s over 100 degrees outside). I know now that sugar is killing me, so I eat better and feel better. I also know that there are many people out there who don’t care about me at all, so I choose not to spend time with them.

            I’ll write more about quality of life later. For now, just grab one of your old dreams from off the shelf, dust it off, give it a good look, and give it a try. I still want to be a scientist, but now it’s my wife and not my parents who have taken my chemicals away “for my own protection.” Watch out DuPont!!

No comments:

Post a Comment