Friday, August 9, 2013

Fast Food Cravings


        This summer I’ve been living in a motorhome out on the edge of nowhere. We’re trying to sell our house and we have too many animals to keep around while people stop by to look. I’m the designated animal caretaker. Anyway, it’s a lot easier to watch what I eat while I’m out there because there are no restaurants and I don’t have TV. Whenever I come into town, however, the cravings start immediately after seeing the Del Taco on the edge of town. The problem is my connection with fast food stores.
            My generation and everyone after us are blasted daily with commercials for fast food. I grew up wanting to eat every meal at McDonalds and would even settle for Burger King if I had to. Now, I think McDonalds is the devil, but the damage has already been done. I see one of their stores and want some fries and a “twoallbeefpattyspecialsaucelettucecheesepicklesonionsonasesameseedbun.”
            I could list all the other fast food restaurants, but I’m sure you get the picture. I doubt if I’m the only person who can quote that commercial after all these years. The point is that I was raised by TV and radio to eat fast food.
            So how do we overcome those cravings? I wish I could tell you. I tried driving faster past those places, but I think the police frown on that strategy.
            Here’s something to think about, though. The tobacco industry got in a lot of trouble years ago for adding things to their cigarettes to make people crave them. Surprise, surprise the food industry is doing the same thing today, but isn’t getting in trouble. Whenever I see a KFC or Carl’s Jr. I think to myself, (which is better than talking to myself) “you’re not craving the food they offer, you’re craving the added things they put in it.”
Does it work? No, but I feel better about driving by without stopping. If you have any other suggestions or ideas, please leave a comment for others to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment